If you are purchasing an older home that has a basement, be sure all rooms, or rooms in your future, meets the requirements for safe bedroom egress. Clear View Home Inspections looks for items like this to help clients understand what may need to be done in the future to their new home purchase. If you have any questions about bedroom egress, or need a home inspection please follow the link below to my website to contact me, or for more information Clear View Home Inspections
Also check out our other services besides our detailed and thorough home inspections.
- Basements, habitable attics, and sleeping rooms need to have an egress opening
- The bottom of the required opening must be within 44″ of the floor.
- The width of the opening must be at least 20″.
- The height of the opening must be at least 24″.
- The net clear opening must be at least 5.7 square feet unless the bottom of the opening is within 44″ of the ground at the exterior. In those cases, the opening can be reduced to 5 square feet.
- Window wells must be at least 3′ x 3′, and they must allow the window to open fully. If the window well is more than 44″ deep, it needs a ladder.
- If there’s a deck or porch above the basement window well, at least 36″ of headroom is needed.